House painting safety equipment is an important consideration if you are looking to make a few changes to the interior or exterior of your home. Many homeowners engage in the practice of throwing on a new coat of paint.
For many of these people, a simple change to bring new life to the structure if required. For others, adding a new coat of paint means adding value to a home that they are looking to sale. This is an easy undertaking that can be quite exciting. However, if the proper equipment is not used, it can endanger your overall health, and can even be fatal. Here, you will learn some important information regarding house painting safety equipment.
The Benefits of Proper Safety Equipment
Making some renovations to the home by way of painting should be a job that is rewarding, not one that results in personal injury and/or sickness. There are many different situations that may occur if the proper equipment is not used to protect yourself while performing this job. The following represents some of the many dangers associated with paint that have been documented regularly each and every single year:
1. Many individuals have inhaled the fumes that are deemed to be quite harmful and have been poisoned by the toxins, or experienced breathing complications.
2. There are many particles that get kicked up while painting that are considered to be "airborne" like various types of pollen, dust, and pet dander. For individuals who are allergic to these types of particles, or have a respiratory condition, side effects may be experienced that may result in sickness or in death.
3. Skin rashes, burns, and other types of irritations have been experienced when paint makes it way onto the skin.
Really, this is a small list of complications that may occur, but it is definitely a realistic list of conditions that may be experienced. There are many different types of benefits associated with house painting safety equipment.
These benefits include the following:
1. The equipment used during painting can help to protect the sensitive eyes from complications like flying debris; particles, paint drippings, and even an invasion of old paint chips.
2. Painting safety equipment can prove to be exceptionally beneficial in protecting the respiratory system from the dust of the paint, the fumes and gases associated with the product, as well as any other types of sprays and/or debris.
3. Last, but not least by any means, the proper safety products, when used correctly, can work to protect the skin from the chemicals and irritants of the paint products that are being used.
Types of Safety Equipment for Painting
There are several different types of safety equipment available for painting. The following list details some of the essentials that should be considered when you need to go about the task of house painting:
1. The first type of product that you can purchase is disposable overalls. These throw away types of apparel not only work to protect your clothing from splashes and spills associated with the paint, but they are also extremely beneficial in protecting the skin so that no rashes, burns, and irritations occur.
2. Neoprene gloves are the next item of interest when it comes to house painting safety equipment. These gloves will assist in protecting the hands from a large assortment of irritants, like paint, acids, solvents, and even oils! It is very difficult to break the surface of this type of glove, so you do not have to worry about cuts and snags while painting your home! In addition to all of this, they can withstand any type of weather condition – including high heat and humidity levels!
3. A spray hood that you can place over your head is also an excellent piece of safety equipment. This simply slides over your head, and protects the head and hair from spills, as well as the area of the face and the neck. These are typically composed of a type of rubber or a type of cotton. In addition to this, you may want to purchase the spray sock that resembles a cap and fits firmly over the head, as well as the socks that are designed to cover the feet during painting, disposable boot covers.
4. Eye Protection is also essential when it comes to house painting safety equipment. It is best to purchase a pair of protective glasses that come with sides so that dust from the paint or other particles does not invade the eyes from the side.
5. Dust masks and respirators are also great pieces when it comes to paint safety equipment. Dust masks typically protect against all those nasty little particles that we mentioned previously like dust, and pollen. The respirators that are designed for safety protect against harmful fumes, gases, acids, and chemicals. As you can see, it is best to use a combination of both. Respirators have a pre-filter that prevents fine dust particles from entering the chemical filter cartridge.
6. Items that assist in protecting the ladder that you use when painting is also relatively important. This will ensure that you do not fall over easily and injure yourself when you are doing the really high jobs that require you to be at the top of the ladder.
7. Many individuals elect to purchase ear protection when painting. While this product can be used to prevent paint from getting inside of the ear, it can also be quite beneficial if you are using a noisy spray gun to paint with or a heavy duty paint sander/grinder unit to remove the loose paint.
8. Lead test kits are also an important consideration when it comes to painting the home. It is important to know if you are being exposed to lead, and if you are, it is important to know to what degree.
There are several different types of safety equipment that you can purchase to make certain that your health is properly protected. It is important to understand, however, that the type and amount of equipment that you purchase will be dependent on the type of project that you are attempting. In addition to this, when painting the exterior of the home, you will find that you require different equipment than if you are painting the interior of the home. Also, the tools that you have available for the project, as well as the general quality of those tools may have a large impact on the types of house painting equipment that is required to perform the job, and keep you safe at the same time.